I'll keep you people up to date. Am I missing a step or does this product not work with leopard yet? Without having this target it's difficult to make such discoveries. . For the person that is using this with Enterprise Iscsi, I'd love to know how you have things configured! I've been monitoring the last time my system started to hang and there was no unusual behviour of processes in the system monitor. I set up a target with 100G just to test timemachine on my iMac. Note that the OpenFiler system is doing fine, it still keeps running and doesn't report anything in its syslog when the iMac hangs.
My advice is to try it over wired as well as wireless to see if the issues persist in both environments. Unfortunately, mine seems to be one of the latter. The other targets do show up automatically and I can log in to them, but there is no disk attached to the Mac other than the first one. I'm sure I'd see better transfer rates if using a dedicated system instead of virtual, but for testing purposes this works for me. Add that I am not the only person this issue seems to be happening to, you have to wonder. Maybe this issue is Time Machine related, but I don't think so.
I was able to point time machine at it and it has started my backup. The funny thing is: whatever target I am configuring to be the fiirst in the ietd. Once I get my issue sorted out I will post back to this topic if it works with Leopard and TimeMachine. If that works, I'll get back to this thread. Right now the Time Machine backup is running with only 200mb transferred. If it does, you must change the partition type and erase the disk so it is supported by Time Machine. Then I configured two more targets, but the only target that gets attached is still the first one.
Go for additional details and download link. This version addresses many incompatibilities with 3rd party targets. I am able to connect only one mac at a time to only the first iscsi volume lun0. Very slooow, but well, I can live with that atm. Uninstall any other 3rd party software that also loads network related kexts i. Finally I reconnected the ethernet cable which caused a hard lockup, but as soon as the system rebooted, it's been stable since.
Thanks for the hint on the partition scheme - boy, that would have been the least thing coming to my mind. But since then, I have thousands of messages like this; 30. At first I went into single user mode and ran some diagnostics, thinking there was something wrong with the system, even did an archive and install. Anybody got any idea what has gone wrong? I backed up all my data and proceeded to then wipe the MacBook and install 10. Target was found, connected, partitioned, formatted, introduced to timemachine without any problems. I loaded up the initiator on the new install of 10.
While I still have plenty of room on the network, my Openfiler 2. Only way to recover is turn the power off and back on again. Call it dumb luck, still don't really know what went on, and I may not since I don't feel like trying to replicate the situation. Thumbs up to Studio Network Solutions! Looks promising, but no champagne yet! But on the openfiler box I can see a lot less activity on the internal harddisks than before while the transfer is ongoing. It sounds like it is indexing files or doing a file system wide search. The initial timemachine transfer started.
I've tried a number of different environments: MacBook Pro wired with GigE, MacBook Pro wireless on 11g, iMac wired with GigE, and iMac wireless on 11g. It connected up to the target, no problem. This morning I found my Mac hanging with black screen. I tested as switches a Netgear and a 3Com, no change. Let us know if you find anything on the target side. Before, with the wrong partition type set on the target, the disks were always busy during the whole transfer.
This is great feedback, thank you very much. On the iMac when the trouble starts, I can hear the harddisk perform a lot of operations. Not sure if this is related, but the iMac had a terrible time of locking up whenever the ethernet was connected a few days after experimenting with the 3. The machine still hangs during transfer. Now for the best news of it all, the drive shows up as a valid time machine target within the Time Machine preferences! I hope my input helps to localize the problem and fix it once and for all - and I'm really looking forward to that moment.
I've found another thread here, regarding combinations of recent Macs that work or don't work. When transferring over GigE, I'm seeing transfer rates of 12-13Mbps. This is great news for those who were hoping to do network backups with time machine. I don't have a Tiger machine around any more to test with or I would. I have now been able to attach all three targets of my Thecus by changeing the ietd.